Friday, February 13, 2009

Season 2 episode 1: A whole new life... literally!

When we say a new life, we mean it. Xan came into our world early this morning after Chanté worked the hardest she ever has... period. She worked hard partly because we decided not to go to the hospital, but to use a midwife without all the wonderful intervention. The only medicational intervention we used was a drug called cervadil, which helps the uterus to efface and eventually start contractions. After the second dose labor had definitely started, which made chante go from This:

Chanté and midwife katie monitoring baby.
To these:
Relaxing between contractions,
attempting to relax during contractions.

Chanté labored for 14 hours and pushed for over 3 hours. I don't know how she did it but she did not complain about the clearly present pain or complain that it was too hard. After so many hours of changing positions and going through contractions and pushing, she was physically exhausted, but did not complain. Then Xan's head started to emerge just enough you could see his hair. Midwife Marsha told her she could touch his head, once Chanté could feel her baby she got a whole new wave of energy and painfully but willingly pushed until, with the assistance of an episiotomy, until our little Xander popped his head completely out.

Many people have rolled their eyes and questioned us when they heard we were using a midwife saying things like it's not safe, or she will want the epidural. Here's what I have to say to all who even doubted in their minds: Chanté is a warrior who birthed a baby the natural way and survived. Now Mom, Dad, and Baby are at home 6 hours after birth getting acquainted once again, instead of walking the halls at the hospital and looking through the glass at the nursery.


17 comments:

Marissa of Ris C Handmade said...

Congratulations! He is so adorable. Good job on the all natural! I had Audrey all natural and I know how hard it can be, but I did not have to push for 3 hours. You are so tough Chante! I wasn't brave enough to have her at home either. I am glad everything went well, what a special experience.

Jami Berry said...

Congratulations! He is such a cutie! Glad to hear mom and baby are both well!

BreAn said...

Congrats! That's awesome that you had him at home. Both my sisters had their babies at home and have loved it every time. My second was a natural in hospital birth, such a rewarding experience. Maybe I'll try the at home birth experience next time, ha if I have another.
Anyway, congrats, we're glad mommy and baby are well, and we are SO excited for you!
WE MISS YOU!

BreAn said...

OH and BTW this is a great birthing story. We're so proud of you!

Great Scott's! said...

Oh wow!!! Congrats you guys, what a beautiful little man you got there!! Have as much fun as possible, and try to catch some zzzzzz :)

Brandon and Julie said...

congratulations guys, good work on the at home without anything. he is so handsome, I need to know details, when you get more settled send me a little e-mail with all that, I am glad that he is finally here. He is so so so cute. Love ya guys!!!

Tammie said...

Holy cow you are the most brave woman I know! Congratulations, he is so darn cute! I am so glad your little family has started, You will love every part of it! You are going to be a FANTASTIC mother!

Melinda said...

Congratulations you guys! He is so adorable!!! And way to go Chante on doing it all natural. - How brave!!! I too want an email with detail!!! Congrats again. I'm so so excited for you guys, he's a cutie!!

DianaCotner said...

Oh wow! He looks like Jake! He's adorable! Midwifing is awesome. I'm sure it will be a great experience for all of you to remember! I look forward to the e-mail and all the new and exciting updates to come!

Rayna said...

Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

Félicitations!!! I want to hold him! Thanks for the pictures and the news. I tried to send an e-mail but I'm not sure at all that it worked. You are now a happy family! GOOD JOB!!!

Michael and Halley Davis said...

Chante' I love you! I glad that all went well with the birth! You two will be fantastic parents!

Carbon and Cindy said...

Congratulations!! What an adorable little boy. Natural birth is the best!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your baby!
~Emily

Karen M said...

Congrats! What a cutie!! Hope to see you in a few weeks! YAHOO!

Jenni said...

Wow Chante you are amazing!! I"m so glad that it was such a great experience for you guys and that he is finally here! He looks adorable and BIG!! Good job, I'm seriously sooo impressed!

Rayna said...

Congrats!!He is amazing! Way to go Chante'! I love you and I am so happy everything went well! Add me to the email with Julie and Melinda!
Lindsey